Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Monsoon bhuttas on the highway...

 

'

Neeti:

 The Sanwer road looks so different today. Plain, barren and cold. In the monsoon it was green, glistening and full of life. We had come here to have the famous Sanwer bhutta. Even though I have been living in Indore for almost seven years, I had never gone to Sanwer before. Raj and I were standing by one of the makeshift stalls, overseeing the vendor as he roasted the local variety of corn on the cob for us. The vendor looked up at the overcast sky as he fanned the embers in the small black sigdi on his wooden cart. The fragrance of the corn was mixed with that of the soil. The indication of the approaching rain did not deter us from waiting for the bhuttas to be roasted to perfection. Soon it started to pour and Raj rushed back to the driver seat with one bhutta in each hand.

"Bhabhi, come quickly!" He urged me to follow suit.

As I approached the car with the rest of the wares, Ronit slipped to the middle of the back-seat to give me room. I was wet, it was windy, but I felt warm. We were five full-grown adults in a small hatchback but I could feel only Ronit's presence. His legs brushing against mine, the fragrance of his cologne overpowering my senses. He laughed at Raj's jokes and fussed over how Amma was eating her bhutta. My presence went unnoticed. 

 

'You're stuck with me for life!' Now available on Kindle, Amazon and Flipkart. 

 


No comments:

The Unexpected Gulab jamun

 Check out my latest novel 'The unexpected gulab jamun' on Amazon/Kindle